Sunday, February 22, 2009

First Bottle: Bully Hill Chardonnay Elise




Winery description: An elegant Chardonnay with bright fruit, subtle oak, and a soft buttery finish.
Cost: $12.50
12.5% alcohol



Jessica's review: This is an okay wine. I'm no wine expert, but I essentially know what I like and this is on the pleasant side of things. The "buttery" is on the nose. I'm thinking the oak and buttery flavors kind of mix together and create a butter rum/butter scotch flavor that is kind of pleasant. Not entirely unlike a croissant. There are a few fruit notes, apricot and strawberry mostly. The bottle describes it as a "Very Dry" wine and I would have to disagree with that. I'd say it's fairly sweet if a bit acidic. The aftertaste is that of hard candy.

Pairs well with: firm, mild cheese with honey on top.

Lindsay's review: Everything Jessica said above, but as the wine rests the fruit flavor all but dissipates. You're left with a buttery/bitter flavor that kind of lies flat in your mouth. It becomes forgettable. In fact, I don't remember what glass I'm on. Lets have another!

Pairs well with: Salty Planter's mixed nuts.

Ratings (one being BLECH! and five being Bravo Winemakers! A++):
Bottle design: 3 (verging on the Monet wallpaper in my dentist's bathroom)
Ease of opening: 2 (covering foil in plastic is just plain silly)
Flavor: 3.5 (for tasting like a croissant w/apricot preserves)
Overall: 3 (based on no mathematical averaging whatsoever)

5 comments:

  1. This very well could end up being my new favorite blog. I don't really have an old favorite blog though... so we'll just see how things go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice of template. Looks very sexy in Unix browsers.

    Nice content and stunning authors :)

    <3

    Aya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend you blow $20 for a decent Chablis to taste what Chardonnay is like when it has no oak and is completely dry. (All white Burgundys are 100% Chardonnay.) Not that that's necessarily the best way to do Chardonnay (though I think it is), but it will serve as a benchmark, giving you the pure Chard experience to compare others w/.

    ReplyDelete